Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Blessings

It's been so long since I've updated...almost 2 months!! In that time I've changed jobs...the nature of being a travel nurse. I accepted a position at Phoenix Children's Hospital on the hematology/oncology floor. The biggest blessing of this job is that I am on day shift again!! This was definitely a reason I decided to leave Denver. I really liked the hospital in Denver, but my body did not like working night shifts. As a travel nurse, finding a day shift position can be challenging. God definitely answered a prayer. So, I packed up and drove a BORING 13 hours from Denver to Phoenix. I have been at the hospital for about a month now. I like the floor and all the staff have been really nice. I have a great apartment. I also have a friend from home nearby. God has really answered prayers...which shouldn't surprise me at all. I truly feel like I'm where God wants me to be right now...which feels great! I'm hoping to check out a church I've heard a lot about this weekend. I'm also planning a trip to Germany to visit a good friend and her husband!

To some people, these blessings may not sound like a big deal. But, they are. God's blessings are always a big deal. I don't deserve ANY of the blessings from God. Lately I've been thinking a lot about all my blessings. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. For those of us who work in the world of pediatric cancer or the families daily fighting to win the battle of pediatric cancer, you are AWARE of childhood cancer EVERY DAY....all days before September 1 and all the days after September 30. Lately I've been very aware of how blessed I am. I have so much to be thankful for every day. I love my job and am humbled to care for children battling cancer. When I look at these children, I don't see cancer. I see kids who love to play games, draw, color, show off all their hats. I see kids who don't dwell on their illness. I long for the day when we can offer a cure! In the meantime I continue to follow God's will for me and my role as a nurse. Please remember children fighting cancer and their families. Pray for them, the doctors and nurses, the scientists researching to find a cure!!

Among remembering all my blessings, I continue to pray about my future. It seems there are so many questions I ask in my prayers. When do I stop traveling? Where will I work when I go home? When do I go back to school? Do I want to go back for my nurse practitioner? Where will I live? I know God already knows the answer to all these questions, but I can't help worrying about them! In the meantime, I will be in Phoenix until sometime next year. I hope everyone is doing well and remember to thank God for all the blessings in your life!!