Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Hate Dealing with Car Problems

So, I guess I'm what you would call a girly girl. I know....some of you are laughing right now because it's totally true. I'm okay with being girly and I admit that I am. Part of my girliness is a hatred for dealing with car problems. I can barely stand to go have the oil change. If I had someone to take care of my car all the time, I wouldn't complain! Wait...I do have someone to help me with car problems....Daddy. But, Daddy lives in Kansas and right now I live in Phoenix (where it's STILL above 90 degrees). So, when my car wouldn't start today in the Old Navy parking lot I was on the phone to daddy. But, daddy wasn't home. So, the next best thing is mom....who hates car problems as much as me. So, plan C....the guys standing outside the New Balance store. Now, I do have jumper cables in my car....and I kind of know how to use them and I do know where my battery is (see...that's pretty good for a girly girl)...however I haven't had a single car problem since buying my car 3 years ago. So, the guys were kind enough to come over and attempt to jump start my car. That failed miserably. In the meantime dad had arrived at the hospital to see my mom and grandma before heading to work (another story...another time). So, he was able to talk to me. He agreed with the guys helping me....my battery was DEAD. I'm so grateful that there are still good, kind people in this world. One of the guys offered to take the battery out and the other guy offered to drive me to a store down the road to buy the battery. The guy who took the battery out put the new one in for me. We took the old battery to the store and they tested it....just to make sure. It was so dead it wouldn't even register on the little machine they use (which I'm sure has a fancy name). The guy who put the battery in went to school to be a motorcycle mechanic and knows how to do some things with cars...including put in a battery. So, I definitely felt better about his skill in putting my battery in. I'm truly grateful that my battery decided to go dead in an Old Navy parking lot and not in the middle of the desert in New Mexico. I'm grateful for 2...actually 3 guys who helped me get a new battery. I forgot to mention the 3rd guy....he poured Coke on my battery to get rid of some corrosive or some stuff like that. How can I forget to thank a guy for pouring a can of coke in my car. I also am grateful for lessons learned: 1. I need a socket wrench set in my car. 2. I will never not have jumper cables in my car. 3. My dad needs a cell phone. 4. There are still good people in this world...no matter how messed up it seems right now.
So, this girly girl has a new battery in her car....before driving 18 hours back to Kansas alone. I still hate car problems, but I have a great respect for the people who can fix them. I hope my next car problem is in Kansas with Daddy near by to help! It's good to be a daddy's girl.
Oh....FYI grandma is ok...she was discharged from the hospital today...again...another story for another time. I'm planning for my next post to have some fun highlights of my traveling days.