Saturday, July 19, 2008

Birthday Surprise!

This year, I had no big plans for my birthday. I had 4 days off from work and planned to just hang out at home, run a few errands, and have dinner with my friend on my birthday. However, that all changed quickly. I worked Sunday night, so I went to sleep Monday morning at about 9:00. But, first, I talked with my mom to see what she was up to. She was apparently on her way into Kansas City to run a few errands. So, off to sleep I went with plans to get up by 2:00. I work up at 1:30ish and went down to the couch...I know...I didn't go very far. At about 3:00 my cell phone rang...it was my mom. She asked me to open the door because she and my grandma were outside. I honestly could not believe it. I opened the door and sure enough...there they were. My mom decided she wanted to see me. So, she hopped in the car early Monday morning with my grandma and started driving. The 9 hour drive from eastern Kansas took her 10 1/2 hours. Not bad considering she was traveling with my grandma...who has dementia. Shock doesn't really begin to describe my face. I truly couldn't even believe she came. For those of you who don't know...she takes care of my grandmother full time. It's no easy task..especially on days where my grandma doesn't want to cooperate. But, my mom decided she could care for my grandma at my house just as easily at my house. We had a great time...didn't do anything exciting at all but that didn't matter. She truly managed to surprise me. I'm so glad she came. We had talked when I first came to Denver about how difficult it would be for my grandmother to climb all the stairs to my apartment. But, she did it...really well! My mom never ceases to amaze me. She has given up a lot to care for my grandma so she doesn't have to be in a nursing home. It was definitely a good birthday and one I won't forget for a long time! Thanks mom!!